FeNO Tests to Monitor FeNO Levels
When you have asthma, your airways become inflamed, making it hard to breathe. There are different types of asthma and there are many diseases that have the same symptoms as asthma.
Knowing if your airways are inflamed can help your doctor make the right diagnosis, find the best management plan and monitor your asthma better. One way they can do this is with a FeNO test.
What Is FeNO?
FeNO stands for fractional exhaled nitric oxide. When you breathe out, your breath can show if you have inflamed airways. A FeNO test measures the amount of nitric oxide in your breath. This test helps doctors tell if and how much inflammation you have in your airways.
How Is FeNO Testing Done?
A FeNO test is a quick and non-invasive test that is easy for both children and adults to do. To take the test, your doctor will have you blow into a handheld device that will track your results. It is usually done in your doctor’s office, and the test results are available right away. Your doctor can help you understand the results.
What Does Checking FeNO Levels Do?
If you have already been diagnosed with asthma, tracking your FeNO levels:
- Determines if your current management plan is working properly and how your medicines may need to be increased or reduced
- May identify what type of asthma you have
- Can track your airway inflammation over time
- Can tell your doctor if you have been taking your medicines correctly
If you have not been diagnosed with asthma, a FeNO test:
- Can support your asthma diagnosis
- Helps your doctor know how well you may respond to corticosteroids
- Can rule out other conditions that have symptoms similar to asthma
Should I Get a FeNO Test?
Talk to your doctor about having a FeNO test if:
- You have respiratory symptoms that won’t go away but you don’t know if you have asthma
- You have asthma but your medicines and treatment plan aren’t reducing your symptoms
Medical Review August 2017.
Knowing how to manage asthma is important for better health and quality of life. We offer an online course called ASTHMA Care for Adults. This comprehensive program covers a full range of topics everyone with asthma needs to know. This self-paced online course is presented in different formats, such as videos, animations, handouts and more.