Managing Asthma & COVID-19 in School
Schools face major challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic caused by the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2).
AAFA’s COVID-19 and Asthma Toolkit for Schools is designed as a supplement to (not as a replacement for) current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), state, and school district guidelines. It includes:
- Checklists that will help school nurses and other staff create a healthier, more asthma-friendly learning experience. These lists include:
- Health and hygiene practices
- Environment (air ventilation and more)
- Respiratory symptoms chart (in English and Spanish) to differentiate between allergy, cold, flu, and COVID-19 symptoms
- Understanding asthma basics
- Information on asthma-friendly school settings
- Sample letter for school nurses asking parents for an inhaler and spacer to be kept at school
- Resources for administrators, school nurses, teachers, and facilities staff
Sign up to receive a copy of AAFA’s COVID-19 and Asthma Toolkit for Schools.
You will be alerted if any changes are applied to the toolkit or future editions are released.
Originally published July 2020. Updated September 2021.
 Healthy People 2020
Top 100 Metro Area Rankings
Pollen Allergy Report>